After you've had your teeth professionally whitened, you want your results to last as long as possible. You can take steps to help your teeth stay bright longer:
- Don't smoke! Smoking will stain your teeth quickly.
- Practice good oral hygiene habits by brushing and flossing as directed by your dental hygienist.
- Avoid drinks that stain such as red wine and coffee. If you do choose to enjoy these, brush your teeth quickly afterward.
- Use the whitening maintenance kit.
- Keep up your regular twice-yearly professional cleanings and exams.
Age and some medications can also cause your teeth to become stained, but these are harder to avoid. Once you have had your teeth professionally whitened, occasional maintenance is all that is required to keep you smile sparkling.